Saturday 1 February 2014

Evaluation


This project was called 'Personal Project'. For this project we were aloud to pick and research any area of graphic design as long as our outcome linked clearly to our previous project 'Cd Packaging'. We had to brainstorm some initial ideas and choose a final idea to be able to write our own brief. For this project I started of with a few ideas such as: clothing line, concert promotion and web design. After brainstorming some ideas I chose to design a official fan based website for the band and include a clothing shop section on the website. For my outcome I produced a three page website design (not coded) and two printed t-shirts of designs from the clothing shop page of the website. The three pages of the website included a sign in home page a main news page and a shop page selling t-shirts. 

The website was based round two Miles Donovan and Steve Wilson inspired digital vector portraits of the 'Modestep' band members (Josh Friend and Tony Friend). I created both the vector portraits in adobe illustrator to get crisp high quality lines, shapes and colour. Creating these in illustrator allowed me to be able to resize the artwork with out losing quality when I imported them into photoshop. A technique/ effect I used a lot throughout my web design was motion blur. I was inspired by Miles Donovan because of how he uses expressive backgrounds such as paint and ink splats behind his digital portraits. I researched recording artist web designs, the information included on the website, social networking on the website, clothing shop and home pages. I found that I wanted to make a fan based official website, so I included a home sign in/ sign up page, a fan forum, competition and a clothing shop with designs based around the band E.g logo t-shirts, artwork of members t-shirts etc. 

I was really pleased with my outcome and felt it was successful because of how I had a specific style and used the same techniques throughout the website on each page. I feel the use of creating and basing the website design layout around the digital portraits was a good idea and worked out well because of how I had three pages and the band consist of two members. This meant I could include both on the sign in page and one on each page. I was really pleased in my outcome and happy that I successfully met the brief which I wrote myself at the start of the project. My brief stated that I had to complete an official website for the band 'Modestep' including 3-5 pages and not coded but be overlaid onto an image of a computer screen to look like a finalised website design. I met this brief and also went above and beyond by printing two t-shirts that would be sold on the website. If I did have more time I feel that I would've added another page about more detail of tour dates or future gigs because I felt that the news page was a little to cramped and not as spacious compared to the other pages. I also feel I could've created a gif of me scrolling down one of the pages to make it look like it was a proper coded working website. Throughout this project I feel have really improved my skills in making neat high quality vector images and have improved my skills in presentation by making a project much more professional and realistic. 




No comments:

Post a Comment