Thursday 4 October 2012

Oscar Wilson


Oscar Wilson is a calligram typography artist, Oscar produces work for a wide variety of clients in advertising, fashion, publishing, retail design, film and TV. He works for many clients such as Nike, puma, visit London, supreme etc. Oscar Wilson's website is: www.studiooscar.com. In his work Wilson mainly focuses on representing London life and promoting themes and aspects of London to tourists and other people in London viewing it. In Wilson's calligrams he either uses bright bold backgrounds or a plain white or black background, I feel he does this to make the text stand out to form the picture. He also uses bold black lines around the whole image to make the picture stand out from the background. I feel that Wilson hand draws his work and then uses illustrator and/or photoshop to add colour to his work. Also in Wilson's work he uses curvy lines and bold thick text so that the writing is clear enough to read even though it has been squeezed in to fit into the picture. The writing in the pictures are related to the image, place or object he is advertising for. For example, the gorilla at the top of the page is advertising london, He has chosen the gorilla to advertise a london zoo but has also used lots of different text to tell people what other attractions that are in london and what you can do and visit such as; Boat Trips, Museums, Regents Park and Camden Lock.



I really like Oscar Wilson's work because how he uses colour and text because using this bold manipulated handmade font and bright colours gives a cartoon style and feel to his work. I also really like how he uses the background colours and bold lines around his pictures because it really makes his work stand out a lot from the poster/advertisement.  

My Calligrams:

These are my calligrams that I have created. I started of by choosing a mug that was in the classroom and then started to draw the outline in pencil. Once I had drawn the outline I then started to write down words that related to the words 'Mug' and 'Tea'. I then started to try and fit these words inside the outline of my drawing of the mug. When drawing my calligram I started drawing the words against the outline of the mug and then working in to the middle. The mug had this spotty pattern on it which I also included into my calligram. I then traced my calligram and drew a second version with pen but did not include the outline. I then finally scanned my calligram onto illustrator and added colour to my text.



No comments:

Post a Comment