Wednesday 27 November 2013

Evan Eckard


Evan Eckard is a Graphic Designer from California who focuses mainly now on illustrative design and has also worked in the fields of Front End Web Development and UI/UX Design. He has done many illustrative designs for bands, merchandise, brick & mortar companies and a variety of others. Eckard uses a graphics tablet along with Adobe Illustrator and photoshop to create these amazing clean crisp high quality illustrations. 

When first viewing his work, I really loved how it was really in your face because of the bright colours, bold lines and harsh shapes. I feel Eckards artwork really relates to my band 'Modestep' because of how modesteps genre of music is electric dub step which is known to be a very loud, sharp, expressive and in your face type of genre. I chose to look at this piece of artwork below because I feel that it is one of Eckards pieces of work that most relates to the style I want to go for when designing my website design because of how he has used typography throughout and used red on the black background. I feel that for my website design that I will be experimenting with reds, yellows and oranges on a black design. For this piece of work Eckard has drawn the typography in the background himself and I really like how he has done this because he has gone for a really quick sketched type which I feel goes well with the bear image because of how bears cause destruction by scratching into trees etc which looks a lot like the lettering. Eckard has also used this bloody red which is really high contrast and jumps out on the black background.


Throughout eckards work, he focuses a lot on bold black lines and shapes to form his illustrations. He uses bold cut outs to create the image and then adds detail by using finer brush strokes to take away parts of shapes. You can see this especially around the mouth and nose of the bear. I really love how even though Eckard has used a small colour palette in this image by just using a gradient green to white, reds, blacks and whites. I really like how he has added subtle shading and toning to show the lighter parts of the bears face such as around the cheeks, nose and forehead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment